Thursday, November 6, 2008

Critical Mass Mexican Style




Tonight Josh and I joined at least 3,000 other cyclists on the city streets of Guadalajara. On the first Thursday of every month riders gather in Plaza Revolución at 9pm and take over the streets- stalling traffic for some time. It felt like it was redemption for all the times we have been cut off and honked at by cars and buses. Another cool aspect of this event is that there is always a new theme... tonight's was Day of the Dead (note poster above, courtesy of gdlenbici.org). There were people in skeleton outfits, leotards, masks, a few wearing frilly black dresses, many had face paint. And there were all forms of wheeled mechanisms, including a man who rode really close to us on a 7-ish foot high bike. The coolest part of the ride was cruising down into a freeway tunnel- fast- sans cars. Everyone was screeching as they made their way through the tunnel, and the echoes made it seem crazier still.



Afterwards Josh and I rode to a great taquería (taco stand) near our friend Annie's place. This is where I need to mention that I have been eating meat after cutting it out of my diet 14 years ago. Shocking, yes. And I do not think that I will continue this habit upon return to living in the states. But the fact that 92.7% of the items on menus and sold at stands in this country center around some form of meat has swayed me. Frankly, it will not be the a great experience if I stick to cheese.
So we ate tacos pastor- once again I must interject. Tacos here are tiny. And always soft shell. And, as mentioned already, they only have meat inside and are garnished with cilantro and onions. People order many of them at once and eat them off of plates covered by plastic bags (easier to clean that way). Josh and I had four each and a cup of horchata, for the equivalent of $5.

No comments: