Thursday, November 13, 2008

Wheels

A little update on my bicycle once again. I finally decided that my lopsided wheel just wouldn't cut it any longer, thus, I brought it in with Josh to have it repaired. It turns out that the tire had been a bit too large, and instead of finding one that fit the wheel, the last owner cut the tire to make it fit. It was only a matter of time before... who knows what.
Sans bike, we had to ride the bus this morning. I am not sure if I have described the buses in much depth, so I feel this might be the time to give the lowdown.
Each bus driver has his own (we have yet to find a female bus driver) decorative elements adorning the inside of the bus. This could include, but is not limited to, an image or two of Jesus, a fuzzy rear view mirror cover, dangling baby shoes, and tinted windows.
Bus drivers here take pride in slamming on the accelerator and punching the clutch, and braking hard and fast at traffic lights and stops. People getting on the bus have to move on as quickly as possible, as the driver steps on it once the last person entering has made it up the first step. No matter if you are elderly, disabled, or with child in tow, the driver shows no discrimination and accelerates before most anyone is seated.
Today was particularly interesting for me as I watched an elderly man in the front seat using nose hair pluckers, trimming his nose hairs as the bus jerked all over the place. It seemed wrong on all accounts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wrong on all counts, OH yes. These little snaps of life outside what we think of as "normal" are fabulous... thanks for all the posts!!