Monday, March 30, 2009

Our Girl


After going some time without dealing with loss in my family, we have been dealt another blow this week; Sally was put to sleep today in Roanoke. Sally was a package deal with Josh, as I met her when I met him 11 years ago and that dog became one of the most meaningful beings to me. She was a crazy mix with the nose of a German Shepard, the color of a black lab, and the lean body from a breed that was not clear to us.
She ran like the devil and logged miles and miles through the years as she accompanied us on runs up on Mill mountain and mountain bike rides with Josh.
She had her weaknesses, yes, but we loved her despite them of course. Even in her older years she could not help herself from jumping up upon guests as they entered our house, but collected herself moments later and fell back asleep near the dining room table. My heart would sink if we crossed paths with deer in the woods. She ran after every single one she encountered in her life and to our knowledge, never succeeded in "catching" one. There was a spell when we had a neighbor who owned at least 10 cats, one was named Princess. Sally was tormented by those cats on a daily basis, huffing and puffing as she peered out our windows at them. One day she nearly caught Princess and Josh and I had to bear the brunt of our neighbor's anger about this matter.
Sally was a finicky eater, but had a real weakness for butter. There were countless occasions where we accidentally left the butter on the dining table only to find an empty plate and a guilty looking dog.
Sally had her quirks too. We used to get a kick out of yelling, "Sally! Fly! Get it" and she always proceeded to bark like crazy and yap at the air until she caught the bugger. She was a swimmer, but never learned to dive. She never really liked to be cuddled all that much, but got agitated when Josh and I hugged and left her out. Despite her size she could jump so high in the air to catch a flying frisbee.

She was just such a good dog. I am trying my best to stay sane in a foreign land and city today, apart from Josh, miles from those I love in Minnesota, and missing those whom I love(d) in Virginia.

May you find your deer in heaven Sally, and I wish you all the sticks of butter that you desire.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Missy. I'm so very sad for you. Two big losses right on top of each other.

You know she had a good life, the best... but it doesn't make this part easier. And I know not being able to be with her at the last must have been hard too.

Thinking of you and Josh. I'm sorry.

Unknown said...

Missy (& Josh)-

I'm so very sorry to hear about Sally!! Hang in there sweetie! Many cyber hugs are in the air for you! Love you!