Sunday, March 22, 2009

Scoooooooooore...?

As a special treat while my folks are in town we all headed to see a soccer game. Guadalajara has three professional teams; Chivas, Atlas, and Tecos. Of the three, the most popular is Chivas. Atlas is the underdog, while Tecos is the under, underdog. Last night it was Atlas against Tecos. The stadium was largely weighted toward Atlas, with a steady drum beat and singing throughout the match cheering on the team. We were surrounded by Atlas fans, so I had to be somewhat casual about my cheers for Tecos (I picked them as my favorite because, of course they are the under underdogs). The players were smooth and fast on both teams and minutes ticked away without a goal from either side, despite the fact the ball was near the Tecos goalie 85 percent of the time. After 90 minutes of play the game ended 0-0. I was sure it was headed into overtime, because certainly someone had to win. But I, the person who picked up the soccer ball while in the goal with the goalie during a game we were playing last week, have much to learn about this sport. A tie can be had, no matter how much it disappoints the fans. And though it is a just way to end a match for both sides, I could not help thinking a win would have been sweeter, especially for my new favorite team.


No comments: