Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mezquitan Man


I pass him often on my walk to the subway, a fruit vendor who is always stationed at the same corner outside of the cemetery in Mezquitan Country, my neighborhood. I notice him because he is a sweet-looking elderly man who is always hunched over focusing intently on peeling and cutting.

Yesterday as I was waiting for the traffic light to change I turned to watch him slowly maneuver his cart down the busy street. He was through vending for the day and was inching home with cars whizzing closely past him. I frowned and my throat tightened as I watched him, realizing that this is the man's retirement. Days spent peeling fruit and vegetables for passersby who take interest in a refreshing snack. It could be that he enjoys his time on the street corner, I am not entirely sure. But after approaching him for the first time today to purchase a watermelon cucumber medley I decided I would make a habit of saying more to him when I see him, just to make sure he knows that I notice him.


1 comment:

Eric said...

I would be thankful for a person on the corner selling fruit so I could eat some pineapple, mangoes, mamey or guanabanas, that would be yummy.