Monday, February 15, 2010

My Best Friend

Upon arrival home from work last Friday, Josh told me to pack up a bag, and that we were hitting the road for the weekend. While he wrapped up cooking a homemade pizza for the trip, I scrambled upstairs and threw a bag together. Two hours later, and about 100 miles west we arrived in a beautiful area known as "Land Between the Lakes." We checked into the lodge at Lake Barkley State Park. I began making myself comfortable by sprawling my belly out on the bed and tuned into the opening ceremonies of the Olympics, when once again, Josh told me to get my coat on, and we were back out the door. We drove a half hour to Murray State University and there I was surprised with tickets to see (and hear!) Bela Fleck playing with two African bands (sample a bit here). The music was incredible... a beautiful blend of string instruments I had never seen before, and impressive rhythms from self-made drums. The babe inside me was jumping all over the place.
The weekend was gray, but we hiked regardless, and imagined how great the lakes will be to return to in the summer. For lunch on Saturday, we headed into the town of Cadiz and visited a diner, where the owner spoke in a hushed tone about how the formerly dry county had recently voted to allow the sale of beer. Later that evening there was a Valentine's Dance taking place at the lodge, but we decided to play a few rounds of ping pong and then return to Olympics viewing instead. The unexpected getaway was sweet, and reminded me that I am one lucky wife.

***

And now we've come around to Monday. For some reason (probably the waking early) Mondays make me sick. I attended our regular 7:30am Monday meeting, went to Spanish class, took a swim, and then on the drive home I made an emergency park job, hugged my car bumper, and proceeded to puke in the street. Ugh. I got back in the car, wiped the snot from my face, and headed home to make some lunch. It's as though this babe is keeping me in check, ensuring that I don't get too comfortable while it's housed inside!

No comments: