Sunday, August 16, 2009

Gone Again

After a short week of settling in to the Colonel Crump house, I flew north to see family and pick up my car. During this time my good friend Jacquie was also visiting her family so I went to visit her and more friends at her folks' cabin on Deer Lake in Wisconsin. It is the quintessential cabin, one like many to be found on lakes in Minnesota and Wisconsin... with wooden decorations, bunk beds, wood stove, a small kitchen... and of course, a portable dock out to the lake, and a pontoon. We cruised the lake at night and had a dinner picnic under the starry sky (I know that sounds cheesy, but it's true!). The following morning we were awakened by the bang of a gun roar of motors to mark the start of the Muskie fishing tournament. The lake is known for its Muskie fish, which are gigantic!



In the morning Jacquie produced "egg bake," and excitement to us all.

***

I have come full circle. When first beginning this blog I remember posting photos from a visit to the Carlton County Fair. Here we are again, and this time I have photos taken by my nephew Casey.








One of my favorite aspects of the county fair is that they judge just about everything you can imagine... pies, vegetables, hay, flowers, quilts, chickens. I am hoping that a fair like this one never dies out; A place where small farms and locally produced goods are celebrated.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I want to visit THIS house too. Oh, I love me a lake cabin...