Sunday, August 30, 2009

Evening In the Crump House

This feels like a momentous night here in the Crump House. Josh and I both are preparing for our first "real" day of work tomorrow. For him, this entails office hours and teaching photojournalism courses in the afternoons. I will fill my time with advising for a design agency run by students on the campus of WKU, called Imagewest. I will also teach a course on web and print design for journalism majors. We both have been reading, web researching and writing, occasionally passing one another in the kitchen for a water or snack break. It's back to reality.

Last week I met the staff that I will be advising. The agency consists of student designers, account managers, and PR reps. They are great kids, and really enthusiastic about what is to come. The agency is touted as the only student-run agency in the nation... all of their projects are for profit, and entail work for the university, Bowling Green and beyond. I am trying to limit the number of times I tell the students that they are lucky, and that I wish I had an opportunity like this when I was in school.

I am starting to feel like I am settling in here. I know my way to Home Depot. We've already come up with a couple of pretty biking routes. I look forward to the lonely whistle from the trains passing through town. I got some rug backers down so we'll quit slipping in the hallways. We've let the neighbor students know that the party has to move inside if it's after midnight. I know which boards creak and which cupboard the plates are in.

It is good to be home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Home is, I hear, where the heart is. But we sure miss you guys HERE, in your old home.

Pretty new biking routes... oh, I am wistful! But thrilled for you, I am I am. Can't wait to hear more as your life there opens and broadens and fills!