Monday, January 25, 2010

Back to the Belly

This is the weirdest phenomenon: no matter how much exercise I might be getting, I am gaining weight, and my belly's getting bigger. I recognize that this is a normal part of pregnancy, but it has been a little tough for my active side to accept. I had stopped for a moment while swimming yesterday, and a woman asked me if I was on the swim team (I'd like to think it was because of my stellar stroke, but I think it was because of my swim team cap). I told her no, and surely shocked her when my belly and I got out of the pool.
I can tell I am getting slower at everything, and tasks that used to seem effortless are no longer so. My bike commute to school includes a couple of small hills that now cause my heart to make me more aware it is there. And the constant feeling of having to pee (I know, too much information) makes the ride much less enjoyable. For the first time in twenty years, I am not running. I know I will not be riding my road bike come warm spring weather.
Yet when I run my hands over this growing belly, my perspective changes. I cannot get over the fact that there is something growing inside (now the size of a spaghetti squash and nearly a pound). This is all temporary, and is leading toward a really cool product. I can hold out another four months.
To end, I know he's still adding to this, but if you're curious about the blog that Josh is creating, you can check it out here.

1 comment:

Amy said...

For someone who's been fit her entire life, I think losing the "fit physique" is one of the very hardest things about pregnancy. No matter what you do, your body totally changes... to an "unfit" shape. Very weird. Very.

Me, I chose not to even weigh myself (would turn around to step on the OB's scale) because I just didn't want to know. I was eating well, I was active... I had to ignore the rest of the data!