Thursday, July 30, 2009

Our Departure

We woke yesterday morning at 3:50AM, closed up the suitcases, walked through the house one last time, and made our way outside to wait for the cab. Most every taxista in Guadalajara drives a Tsuru, which looks a bit like the old-style Toyota Corolla. This taxista was among the norm, and we struggled to make everything fit in the tiny vehicle. It began to rain hard, and we drove through a large, sewage-smelling pond taking over the highway. Our taxista struggled to find sprayable air-freshener while navigating the pond. The windows fogged up. We were inching along and swerving between lanes and fast-moving vehicles. I kept wondering if ironically, after all of our time in México, this was where we were going to have an accident. But we made it.

I arrived at the ticket counter (Josh and I were on different flights through different airlines) embarrassingly trying to make my huge roller suitcase, army duffel bag, large backpack, and computer backpack look a little smaller, and weigh a little less. The woman at the counter noticed that I was over capacity. So as to avoid a $150 fee for an overweight bag, I left the coffee, tequila and a few other items that were weighting me down, in a corner in the airport. I packed even more into my carry-on, and struggled back over to check-in.

While waiting, I stared at a small girl wearing ruffled socks, a pink dress, a pink satin coat, and intricately braided hair. She was squeaky clean. I could not stop staring and thinking about all of the children that I have come to know this year, trying to imagine if given the resources, would the CODENI mothers dress their little girls this way. Would it make their lives any better?

I have been made aware this year. And one of the hardest places to be and observe is in an airport, where only those with the means can travel comfortably, buy their Starbucks coffees, walk around with IPOD's, plug in their laptops and surf the internet. And at moments when I became most frustrated by the disparity, I think of what Danielle Strickland is doing with CODENI, and the fact that she and the staff of CODENI are providing hope and more options for familes with very little. Any of you who have been following this blog, if you feel so inclined, CODENI (AHALA is the U.S. branch of CODENI and fields all donations) would more than welcome your donation.

***

Tuesday evening the staff of CODENI and some of the families they serve held a despedida for Josh and my departure, as well as Danielle's move to Mexico City. While saying goodbyes I wondered how much the kids will change before I see them next. I said goodbye to Juana, one of the leaders of MNINI, and tried to convey to her that I want to continue doing what I can from afar to help this cooperative make it.

The staff of CODENI and Josh and I. Left to Right: Missy, Josh, Ulises, Tomás, Myriam, María, Roció, Rosario, Ivette, Mónica and Danielle (Irving was missing)

The youngest of a CODENI family of 7, and the only daughter. She is with Oso (bear), who arrived to Guadalajara the same day as Josh, as a wee little puppy


Juana and others looking through photos from the cooperativa meetings




Not only does CODENI have a new space, they also received a new foosball table

Danielle and CODENI are not only assisting children, but they also provide a great deal of support to the families

Later in the evening Danielle had a party at her house. Above is Octavio (our dear friend and my tutor in my opening weeks in Guadalajara) and Jose the photographer and Nora his wife. And Josh, of course.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its really great things so nice post hear age difference ..
thanks for sharing ,,

___________________
victor
Online Marketing of your brand