Thursday, July 9, 2009

Something Unexpected

I arrived at the airport this morning fully expecting to fly to Chiapas. But. The airline that I was supposed to fly with, Aviasca, apparently has not been flying since Monday. They are currently being audited, and it is not looking good for them. Thus, after trying to buy another ticket to Chiapas from other airlines in Guadalajara (all flights were "lleno," meaning full) without avail, I decided to change my destination. I am now hoping that I will actually be reimbursed for the trip I did not take to Chiapas.
Despite being shaken up this morning, I am adjusting to the change, as Oaxaca is another place that I have wanted to see. After wandering a bit in search of a place to stay, I walked the streets exploring my surroundings. I passed markets where vendors were selling chapulines (fried grasshoppers), varieties of fruits, and low and behold, I took a turn and past the market and all that I could smell was chocolate. I discovered a street where shop after shop was selling cocoa beans, hot chocolate, mole, pure chocolate... I made a note of the location so that I can return.
After the chocolate street I happened upon a small comida corrida cafe, where 2-3 dishes are prepared and you choose one. A friendly older waitress served me chicken in a tomato sauce, tortillas, rice, and tamarind water. It was so good, and so cheap (around 3 dollars).
Now I am researching this city and planning the next couple of days. I hope to make it to Mont Alban. I will make sure to eat mole. I would like to drink cafe olla (a spicy strong coffee with cinnamon). I am anxious to see the artisan work from this region.

And at some point during all of this, I need to find a flight back to Guadalajara.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Mmmm, nothing like a big ol' bowl of chapulines!