Sunday, April 4, 2010

Farmin' and Egg Smashin'


One of the only things missing from the Colonel Crump house is a big, sunny backyard. Yet as luck would have it, the city rents plots of land at a nearby park for gardening. So Josh and I spent $30 to rent a 30'x60' plot of Kentucky soil. We arrived at our "farm" this morning and had quite a job ahead of us. This new garden is about ten times the size of our garden back in Roanoke, and we only made it through planting rows of corn, onions and greens before we had to break for the day (it did not help matters that each time I leaned over to plant it felt like I was balancing a basketball between my chest and legs). We are very excited about the potential of this garden, if we're actually able to get through planting everything!

Later in the day we headed over to Rachele and Scott's place for an egg smashing party. The goal was to decorate an egg in an appealing manner, which we then judged. Afterward we partnered up and knocked eggs with our opponent. The winner (unsmashed egg person) competed against another winner. In the end, it came down to Scott and me, and as you might gather from the photo sequence (thanks to documentarian Josh), I was a bit overly surprised about my win.




Three-way tie of best egg-designs



Ingrid's "smushed" egg

My trusty unicorn egg

(I just like that Mila's giving the peace sign in this photo)





The young spectator of spectacles, Mila


After all the eggs were smashed, Rachele and Scott made a salad out of the egg "guts"
(Thank you Josh for all of the photos)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm eggstatic you won Missy! You always were eggstra special at those eggstraordinary type of events. I'm sure others could think of other eggamples.