Wednesday, January 28, 2009

ABC's

Josh and I headed up to Cerro del Cuatro this morning to see some of the women who are part of the cooperative who are beginning to learn to read and write. Two women Pia and Ruth from UACI (an indigenous support organization) are committed to helping to teach the cooperative women three mornings a week. I have been amazed by the process (remembering little from the time when I learned to read and write) as the women sound out the letters of the alphabet and practice writing them over and over again. Today we went over syllables and bringing two of them together to form a word (Seseme Street style). They cautiously wrote in their notebooks, erasing a letter if it was slightly off kilter, and laughed nervously when they were called upon to sound out a word. Despite the fact it is a long ride up to the Cerro, I am going to try and go to their classes often, as I feel honored that they have allowed me to watch them learn, and I will try and help when I can.

Adriana, Sofia and Alberta working with Pia. Three others work in the room beside us.

Daughter of Adriana, who draws pictures while her mother learns.


And now for the unrelated photo. Upon return from the Cerro I had Josh pose by the bougainvillea that are blooming in our patio, which he was really excited about doing.

3 comments:

Josh Meltzer said...

Not exactly.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever seen Josh quite so enthralled.

Eric said...

Josh is a rose enthusiast. He even has them at his home in Roanoke where he'll host a party on the front porch, next to his favorite planting, the 'Rosa 'Zéphirine Drouhin'. We laugh and have a merry time as Josh talks about rose botany and cultivation, then he'll start on pests and diseases of the Rosaceae family and we go inside looking for something else to talk about.