Sunday, January 4, 2009

A ski with my mum

We were hit with at least four more inches of powder snow last night and my mom and I decided to take advantage of the beautiful, zero degree day and head out on a ski at Moose Lake State Park. We were the first and seemingly only ones out enjoying the yet-to-be groomed trails. There was something quite wonderful about breaking through the trails that had only been crossed by various animals. At one point- though I realize that they are hibernating- I looked ahead and caught a flash of black... something quite large and black, and I wondered to my mom if a bear had woken up. We moved along Echo Lake and past strands of birch and enormous red pine trees, me wearing the old leather boots that my mom used to wear back in the 70's and she was using her pair of wooden skis. It was the kind of afternoon that I love.







2 comments:

DerekSmalls said...

is cross country skiing hard?

Joy Beadworks said...

We are so jealous of your snow!
Nice blog!