Thursday, January 15, 2009

January Rains

I am back to the "grind" in Guadalajara. It is good to be back. The day after I left Minnesota, the thermometer hovered around -23. And here in Mexico I spent the morning outside in shorts, weeding the cactus garden. As I rode in the taxi from the airport to my house the window was down and I was breathing in the warm, polluted air with a grin on my face.

Today Josh and I signed up to run a 10K race near our house. We thought it might be fun to try and see how we do. I realized that I have not entered a solely running race since the Boston Marathon at least 3 years ago now. I am already nervous despite the fact the race is more than a week away.

We had a good group of friends over last night for pasta, which put my rusty Spanish to the test, as I have not been using it for three weeks. When everyone was preparing to leave, the strangest thing happened; it rained for the first time in months. According to our friend Danielle, this always occurs during the last week or two of January. Then we are under a dry spell for many more months. I am sure that the cactus garden will thrive.

No comments: