Wednesday, January 21, 2009

One Step Forward...

Language. I thought I was getting better with this whole speaking Spanish business. While sitting with a group of Spanish speakers today I referenced "la franja de Gaza," and "un bandada de gansos" (a flock of geese). I had studied the news and looked up the unfamiliar words and felt pretty proud about being able to utilize them.
I had a wake up call this evening.
While working on homework with a group of 8-year-old boys, one of them asked me, "Que hora son?" (Which translates to, "What hour is it?"). But I heard him say, "Quieres son?" (Which translated in my mind as, "Would you like them to be?" or "Would you like to come from?"). I just didn't get it. So after he repeated himself three times and I finally answered confusedly, "De Virginia en Estados Unidos?" The boys were beside themselves in laughter. Kids show no mercy when you're trying to learn their language. Finally one of the boys gave the almost universally known gesture for time; a tap to the top of the wrist. I rolled my eyes and tipped my head back (the universal sign for "I am an idiot") and tried to gain back some of my pride with my knowledge of numbers en Español.

No comments: