Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Estoy Orgullosa (I am Proud)

Josh finally reached a point where just a fraction of his thousands of photos from this year left his computer and took their place on walls in ExConvento in Guadalajara yesterday evening for a show of his work. Aside from a few of his posts on his blog and website, this is the first time that he has publicly shown people what he has been working on this year. It was a celebratory night in the company of a number of friends that we have made in Guadalajara. Our good friend and one of the most talented photographers in México, José Hernández-Claire, delivered an introduction that praised his work this past year, and encouraged him to continue pursuing the very important story of migration in México. And as an example of Josh never quitting his work, he even documented the hanging of the show as seen above, below, and here.


There is much left to be told in the stories that Josh has pursued, and after the reception of his work I can sense that he is more than determined to continue following them. If you did not click on the link above, click here to see a few photos from the evening.


* * *

We are here in Guadalajara for a little over another month, and I am becoming more focused on taking advantage of the things that I take advantage of here. Like basil. And the market that I bought it in. Today I bought a bunch of basil larger than I have ever netted in my garden back in Roanoke, for the equivalent of $1.50. I did not need that much basil, but at such a rate I figured it was silly not to take the whole bunch. And so...

15 minutes into plucking the basil leaves and I had barely made a dent.

Half an hour later I was certain that I would be making pesto for the entire neighborhood.

No comments: