Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Exposition

Another thing I am going to miss about México are the papelerías, or little mom and pop paper stores. Three blocks from our house there is a small one run by an older woman, and before the show I went looking for "estrellitas" (little stars) and sure enough, she had little bags of them. I paid 8 pesos for them (70 cents) and biked to the opening with certificates for the students adourned with the golden stars.

I don't have nearly the number of photos Josh does from the opening, but I thought I would post a few images from the night. Above are Claudia and Angelica posing with the photos that they took. A number of people attended the opening, including many CODENI kids who cheered when the announcement was made that refrescos (sodas) and snacks would be served. The U.S. Consul attended the opening and delivered a speech that praised Josh and his work with Listen to My Pictures and the impact this experience had on the students.


The exhibit is being held in the courtyard of a beautiful historic building in downtown Guadalajara. Above a number of CODENI kids are gathered around a fountain right next to the exhibit.


Angel (with camera) and Claudia were two of the students in the class.

Art Reimers and his daughter Sarah pose with Jorge. Art is the head of the organization Listen to My Pictures and donated the cameras to our Guadalajara group. He and his daughter flew in for the opening. Jorge was a frequent volunteer with our group and lives in Guadalajara.

Josh posing with Jose Hernandez-Claire.

No comments: