Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My home.

While Josh is out at a multimedia photojournalism conference in Las Vegas for the week, I have returned to our Roanoke home. It has been wonderful. As I flew in over the blue ridge mountains and familiar landmarks come closer into my view I became teary, mixed with the bittersweet notion that this is my home that I am elated to return to, but I am going to leave it soon for a new start in Bowling Green.

My dear friend Angie and her brother greeted me at the airport and drove me to my house, which was left in perfect shape by our tenants, a young couple from California. I wandered between the rooms, investigated the front and back yards for plant progress, and sat out on the front porch to take in the smells and sounds of my old neighborhood.

For the week I have assigned myself a list of chores. I have been working a great deal out in the yard, taming the mad weeds that moved in during the year. Fully expected with full immersion in the green stuff, I encountered poison ivy and have my annual bout of the icky rash that comes with it. I have been packing and labeling. There are appointments. And most exciting for me are the old friends. I skid to a stop if I am spotted or am the spotee... and each reunion requires a good chunk of time to catch each other up a bit.

And so, I better get going as there is more work to be done. I am sure to post a few photos and another update on the packing. See you then.

No comments: