Monday, June 15, 2009

A Roanoke Visit


It wasn't until I reached the Roanoke airport when I finally felt I had stopped. For 10 days I packed in about as much as I could during my time back in my old house and my old town. I embraced every opportunity I could to see old friends, beginning with attending a North Cross School end of the year faculty party. My friends Chip and Heidi invited me out to a bonfire party on their beautiful piece of land outside the city. I held a potluck "Ladies Party" with about 30 women. There were a number of dinners and great conversations, as well as a breakfast this morning with Eric and Nicole.

From left, Nicole (6 months pregnant), Katie and Sully, -me- Kathy and Evan, Angela and Sadye, Heidi (8 months pregnant). Baby explosion friends missing from this photo: Amy (7-ish months pregnant), Hellen and Anna, Sarah and Sam, Erica and Asa, Stephanie and Lily, Nikki and Colter

Angela and Sadye

Erin from across the street


It felt so good to be back on a fast bike, with very little traffic. I rode out on Yellow Mountain Road and took in the beautiful mountain views and breathed in the thick and clean air. Pedaling along the Blue Ridge Parkway I revisited the long up and downhill stretches, virtually free of cars.

I slept in my big, Amish bed under the skylights again, and was awake at 6:30AM to bright sunlight.

I used my favorite ceramic cup for coffee.

I went to the new art museum and took in the beautiful space and exhibits.

I said hellos to the farmers at the stands I used to frequent at the City Market.

And I packed.
I also spent three days working in the backyard in order to bring the raspberry plants back to life, to uproot the weeds around the baby fig tree, and to pull out hoards of weeds throughout the rest of the yard.
Before

After

Before

After

Before

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

My mess out on the street.


It takes getting away to allow me fully recognize how great I have had it. Roanoke is doing quite well, thriving indeed. It was beyond comfortable to be back in our house and visiting old favorites. As I flew away from it all today I left with the knowledge that a piece of my heart will always remain there.

No comments: