Tuesday, September 9, 2008

More on CODENI

Last night I stopped by the library to visit the CODENI kids. Before I write about the evening, I want to explain more about what CODENI is, as I realized that I have not yet done so on my blog! The best way for you to understand this organization, which was begun by former Roanoker Danielle Strickland, is to visit their site.

And let me explain a little bit more about what happens in the evenings. Monday through Thursday from 6:30-8:30, children meet at the library downtown Guadalajara. This allows for them to get off the streets where they and/or their parents are working, and into an environment where they are able to focus on their studies. During these sessions they are given the opportunity to play and create, and make friends. The younger kids meet on Mondays and Wednesdays, and the older kids meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The kids cycle through three groups: one for tutoring/ help with homework, one for recreation, and one for activities focused on childrens' rights. Fridays are set aside for recreation completely, where the kids might do something like take a city bus to go and play soccer.

CODENI is non-profit, and all of the kids who participate in this program are able to do so because of contributions and grants. If you would like more information on how you can help the organization (sponsor a child for example), visit the CODENI's sister site, AHALA, based in Roanoke, VA.





Many of the photos above feature Panchito (Little Pancho), one of the funniest little boys to watch. He gets so animated when he plays sports, hopping up and down, diving and jumping all over the place. Really cute. We played volleyball for a bit in the busy plaza outside of the library. It amazes me that the children stay pretty focused and do not wander off to go and see what else is happening in the plaza.
Yesterday I also began my first day of private tutoring in Spanish with Noami at the IMAC school. I will do this for two hours every day for the next four weeks. Lastly, I do not know why I am so excited about this, but we also purchased two woven floor mats yesterday at the San Juan de Dios market.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I love your Blog Cuz! And hey, you should excited about your woven mats, they are awesome! Its the little things... and you're appreciating them!