Monday, September 15, 2008

Plantas


Over the past couple of days Josh and I have made some happy discoveries in our neighborhood:
#1: There is a place three blocks from us that is known for the best pozole (chicken or pork and hominy stew- a regional favorite) in town. And the restaurant appears to be someone's house converted into a business (Roanokers imagine the Homeplace- except much, much smaller). Diners walk in through the kitchen and then make their way upstairs and grab a seat. For around $8 we had two heaping bowls of pozole with horchatas (sweet rice drinks). #2: The following morning we discovered a huge outdoor market (called tianguis) four blocks from our place. Stalls stretched for at least 15 blocks along a street, selling everything from verduras (vegetables), homemade quesos, meats, pig skin, frutas, honey, cleaning supplies, cheapo DVD's, freshly made tortillas, plants...
We loaded up on veggies and fruits, bought a few pirated DVD's, and selected plants for our back patio area. I was especially happy about the plants (see images). It is pretty cool to be in a place where so much can grow outdoors.



Chayote, a new vegetable I learned about. Cooks like squash. Cool shape.


Now, today I was having a pretty crappy morning. I woke with a bad headache and felt sort of feverish, and then I walked to school and it was pouring rain the whole 40 minutes, and buses kept driving by soaking me further. But then. I found out that my tutor for the week will be Octavio, a very kind Tapatio (Guadalajaran) and I left after our two hour session feeling renewed.

No comments: