Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Huichol Inspiration

I am happy to declare this painting finished. It is based on a photo by Josh of Maria and Eugenia (remember them?). This is the mother who has the baby with hydrocephalus. They will be returning to Guadalajara any day now so that they can bring Paula, the baby, to the hospital to have an operation to insert a shunt into her head to drain fluid. There is a good possibility that they will return to Huamustita before Josh and I return to México after the holidays, but we plan on making the 9 hour bus trip to see them possibly in late January/ early February.

In other news, downtown Guadalajara is nuts right now with record numbers of vendors and shoppers. Christmas is in full swing in this city, but it has been hard for me to get into the spirit... I don't know what it is, but I somehow feel that because I am in México, Christmas is obviously on hold, and what they are preparing to celebrate here is something different. We are very excited for this Friday evening, however. A vecina (neighbor) down the street invited us to the posada (special word for Christmas party) on our block. We could hardly contain ourselves- Si! Si! What can we bring?
An opportunity to meet more friends and speak the language is bueno.

2 comments:

Josh said...

Nice painting!

As long as the holiday season is in full bore, be sure to pick up my present! Although I'm going to guess that Hannukah isn't a big deal in Mexico.

Josh said...

(p.s., this was written by 'strutter' josh, not your husband :-) )