Friday, December 12, 2008

Qué Chido (How Cool)


Tonight Josh and I went on a walk through our neighborhood and we were remarking on how cold it was and bundled up in two fleece jackets each. I decided to then check the weather in the place I will be heading to soon (click to enlarge comparisons above). A rude awakening. No wonder people in Minnesota always talk about the weather.

While we were walking I was telling Josh about my near miss of a collision today with a teenage boy on a bike. This same type of accident happened to me a year ago in Roanoke when a girl ran out from behind a parked car and we collided. Fortunately this time I did not sail over my handlebars. The first words that came to mind were "Muy peligroso, sí?" (Very dangerous, yes?) and all of the kid's friends started giggling at me- and him- or him. I don't know. I decided it would be best to ignore them and begin riding on to my painting class. Josh made fun of me for this reaction too.

Though I have been teaching and creating art for some time, I still feel like I have a lot to learn. This is part of the fun, I believe. And so, tonight as I struggled with that gray area of when to call a painting complete, my teacher came over and picked up my paint brush and added small touches of paint here and there on the face of the main subject of my work. It was perfect. I was amazed. I will take a photo of the work when I fully emerge from that gray area.

No comments: