Friday, December 19, 2008

More on la Navidad

In a previous entry, I mentioned that Christmas seems a little meloncholy here, largely because of the lack of snow and cold. But after seeing streets full of decorations and stores full of color and glitter, I get the sense that Christmas is a full on party here. In a nearby colonia I passed by tienda after tienda selling piñatas. I could not resist and ended up purchasing a Santa for my sobrinos (nieces and nephews) to bat.

This poor angel piñata does not seem very happy about her fate...

The beautiful princess... her fate is also sealed.

Oh no, not Rudolph too...
This is something that Josh and I do not quite understand. The first day we saw a vendor with these, we thought they were some type of curious root we had not yet seen. Turns out they are cushy antlers, specially designed for your car. Because of course, your car likes to celebrate Christmas too.
To end, this has nothing to do with Christmas, but it is a common sight throughout the city. As long as you put SOMETHING in the street, people won't park in your spot. The water bottles in the photo below are enough of a deterent. I'd like to try this when I head back to Roanoke.

Lastly, this photo translates as follows: "Respect the entrance to my garage and I'll respect your tires." Ouch.

No comments: